So I’ve immersed myself in a LOT of music lately. I love how music can speak to you, make you feel something you never expected to feel but most of all, I love how music can communicate feelings and emotions that you would never know how to put into words.
Music is paramount to my life and I listen to a ridiculous range of songs. Beats, falsettos and moody drums get me every time. If you were to look at my music mix, you’d find everything from bubblegum pop to country music to reggae/ska. I love how much music makes a moment a memory in life.
My Maui Music List included:
- Wade in Your Water – Common Kings
- The Sea is Calling – The Temper Trap (Acoustic
- Brutal Hearts – Bedouin Soundclash
- One Day They’ll Know – Pretty Lights
- Love Lost – The Temper Trap (Acoustic)
- Good Life – One Republic
- Intro – The Xx
- You’re Made of Love – Jamala
- Kiss the Sky – Shawn Lee
- Oceans – Hillsong United
I don’t know how to process the emotions or feelings I’ve been feeling lately. I tend to babble, write sentences that don’t make sense and just seem to mix up words until they don’t make sense. In the meantime, I’m listening to as many songs as possible to help me understand my feelings and fuel what I write post vacation.
I found a fun game today – it’s a game where you get a series of questions and you have to answer them with the songs in your iPhone/iPod. You open up your song list, set the list on shuffle and then answer every question with the song that pops up next. It’s a bit odd but if you do this exercise too, I promise you will laugh your ass off with the responses you get.
Here’s my list – before you read, please do not judge my song choices. At some point I thought downloading these songs was a good idea…
1) IF SOMEONE SAYS “IS THIS OK?” YOU SAY?
All Fall Down – One Republic
2) WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Show Stopper – Danity Kane…(Don’t laugh! I actually liked them as a group way back when!!!)
3) WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GUY/GIRL?
P.Y.T – Michael Jackson
4) HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?
Ride On/Rock On – Phosphorescent
5) WHAT IS YOUR LIFE’S PURPOSE?
Good Life – One Republic
6) WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO?
Life Is a Highway – Rascal Flatts
7) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR PARENTS?
Conqueror – Feat Estelle & Jussie Smollet
8) WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN?
Fancy – Drake, TI & Swizz Beatz (I nearly spewed coffee out of my nose when this came up!)
9) WHAT IS 2+2?
Work – Iggy Azalea (Don’t hate, I’m obsessed with her)
10) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND?
We Are Young – FUN
11) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
Princess Of China – Coldplay & Rihanna
12) WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY?
Royals – Lorde (I think I’m starting to sound superficial)
13) WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?
I Will Be – Leona Lewis
14) WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
I Just Can’t Stop Loving You – Michael Jackson (MJ seems to be a theme in my life)
15) WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU?
Science of Fear – The Temper Trap (If you get a moment, you should DL the acoustic version of their album, it’s beautiful)
16) WHAT SONG WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR WEDDING?
Help Me Lose My Mind – Disclosure
17) WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
Missing You – Jem
18) WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST
I Need Love – Robin Thicke (SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? Dear iPhone, please shuffle something else!)
19) WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET?
Prodigal – One Republic
20) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIENDS?
Holy Grail – Justin Timberlake & Jay Z
21) WHAT WILL YOU POST THIS AS?
Feel Again – One Republic
Phew. Clearly a lot of One Republic and MJ in my life. And love. And superficial needs. Oh and pop. (I promise you my playlist is more sophisticated than this!) This exercise is even funnier when you laugh hysterically in the middle of a Starbucks doing this activity.
Ok, you’re next. Copy this list, pull out your music and see what your songs say about you.